Dyslexia: What Does and Doesn't Work
The International Dyslexia Association states that the following programs will NOT work to remediate dyslexia:
• Accelerated Reader
• Hooked on Phonics, or The Phonics Game
• Reading Recovery
• Vision Therapy and special glasses
• Fast ForWord
• Brain Gym and other neurodevelopmental exercises
• Most commercial learning center chains, such as Sylvan, Kuman, and Score
However, independent, scientific, replicated research shows that what WILL work to overcome dyslexic spelling and reading challenges is one-on-one reading and spelling instruction that is simultaneously:
• Individualized / customized
• Systematic and highly structured
• Diagnostic and prescriptive
• Frequent – as often as possible, no less than twice per week
• Direct and explicit in phonemic awareness and phonics
This type of intervention is referred to as Structured Literacy (formerly known as Orton-Gillingham-based methodology).
People with dyslexia CAN learn to spell and read fluently. But it is absolutely critical that they receive the right kind of help from a certified tutor who is trained in Structured Literacy.
Research has shown that the single most important factor in a student's educational success is the knowledge and skill of the teacher. That fact is even more significant when the student has a disability.
The Right Method + The Right Teacher = Spelling and Reading Success
Adapted and reprinted by permission of Susan Barton, Bright Solutions For Dyslexia, Inc.