Dyslexia: What Does and Doesn't Work
The International Dyslexia Association states that the following programs will not work to remediate people with dyslexic tendencies:
• Accelerated Reader
• Hooked on Phonics, or The Phonics Game
• Reading Recovery
• Vision Therapy and special glasses
• Fast ForWord
• Brain Gym and other neurodevelopmental exercises
• Most commercial learning center chains, such as Sylvan, Kuman, and Score
However, independent, scientific, replicated research shows that what will work to overcome dyslexic spelling and reading challenges is one-on-one reading and spelling instruction that is simultaneously:
• Individualized / customized
• Systematic and highly structured
• Diagnostic and prescriptive
• Frequent – as often as possible, no less than twice per week
• Direct and explicit in phonemic awareness and phonics
The Barton Reading and Spelling System is exactly this.
Your child CAN learn to spell and read fluently. But it is absolutely critical that he or she receives help from a certified tutor who is trained in an Orton-Gillingham-based approach, such as The Barton Reading and Spelling System.
Research has shown that the single most important factor in a student's educational success is the knowledge and skill of the teacher. That fact is even more significant when the student has a disability.
The Right Method + The Right Teacher = Spelling and Reading Success
For more information, visit an excellent resource online at:
Adapted and reprinted by permission of Susan Barton, Bright Solutions For Dyslexia, Inc.